After watching a very informative Digital Marketing web seminar led by Daniel Rowles this morning I thought it was about time that I posted a blog entry on how we’ve developed and adjusted our social strategy.
At Live at LICA we’ve spent several months discussing the possibility of relinquishing our social feed from the perceived ‘marketing tool’ to developing it into an essential requirement of everyone’s job. Along with my Director, Jamie Eastman, we were keen to adjust the type of content we posted. Reducing the amount of bland ‘broadcasting’ whilst creating more dynamic posts. How much more engaging would it be to read a post written by the actual programmer, artist or curator rather than a generic “buy your tickets now” tweet?
In addition to this Jamie has been writing our Business Plan within which I’ve been keen that our KPIs measure our online “engagement” rather than bland follower or ‘friend’ stats. Therefore adjusting our social strategy and regularly monitoring our achievements was becoming increasingly essential.
Within one of our CultureHive mentoring sessions, with Tom Beardshaw, we developed a stranded content social media plan. In practice this meant that each day of the week would have a theme relating to a specific programmer i.e. Monday would be a theatre themed day, Tuesday a music day etc. Each programmer would then be responsible for creating content on their relevant day.
In order to track this content, and ensure we weren’t duplicating posts, I created a Google spreadsheet. Within this content template the programmer enters up to six posts a day for facebook and twitter and provides the relevant links. After a conversation with each of the programmers, fully explaining what we required and that their content shouldn’t just be about our own activity, I then shared the spreadsheet and encouraged them to enter their first posts.
To gain maximum exposure I used the free Tweriod tool to analyse our time line to discover what hours our tweets are likely to get the most impact. Once I knew this I then copied the content into HootSuite and scheduled it at the appropriate times.
We launched the new strategy in January 2015. It’s still early days but I’ve been encouraged by the first month’s results. Analysing our twitter stats I can see that link clicks have increased 6 fold, retweets 3 fold and favourites 5 fold. We’ve still work to do on our engagement percentage and to encourage more replies. Looking at what tweets have had high engagement rates will be key to this success.
So, my role has shifted from being solely responsible for creating content into much more of a curation role: reminding staff to enter their content, scheduling posts and analysing and reporting the stats. Over the next few months we’ve plans for initiatives such as #AsktheCurator or #SocialFriday. After which we’ll need to analyse the results ensuring we can be successful without creating too much extra work for our stretched team. I’m looking forward to comparing our spring season against last year’s autumn social stats!